The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)
I will jump to the end, “I highly recommend this book but more important, implement its practices into your life!” However, if you are a person who likes to read and not implement the truths learned from the book, then I recommend reading a novel instead. Take notes, write in the book or if you purchase the Kindle version, highlight it then export to Evernote or OneNote.
“Mediocrity has nothing to do with how you compare to other people; it’s simply a result of not making the commitment to continuously learn, grow, and improve yourself.”
― Hal Elrod, The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life
“Hal Elrod is a genius and his book The Miracle Morning has been magical in my life. What Hal has done is taken the ‘best practices’—developed over centuries of human consciousness development—and condensed the ‘best of the best; into a daily morning ritual. A ritual that is now part of my day.” —ROBERT KIYOSAKI, #1 bestselling author of Rich Dad Poor Dad
This book is filled with little nuggets that are easily missed but I will summarize one that I implemented long before this book dating back thirty years ago and Zig Ziglar discussing the importance of rising early with a plan. The key to a successful day is to outline what you will do the first 60 minutes of your morning. In this book, Hal outlines the principles used by many of the influential and successful people in the world.
These are the six items outlined in the book and his suggestion is to dedicate ten minutes to each item to start your day:
Combine them, mix, them, modify them but spend the first sixty minutes each day ‘focused’ on building you. Start with prayer then thank the Lord for the day He gave you adding ten minutes of knowing He will supply your need. Combine this with another ten minutes of Bible reading and ten more of journaling about what you read and/or are thankful for but the key part is to do something ‘powerful’ with the first sixty minutes of your day. Finish with a powerful ten minutes of exercise and your day is ready to rock.
This is a book that is easily read and never implemented. However, I suggest not only reading the book but listening to it as an audio and taking notes. If you know me, I am a big fan of journaling and writing your thoughts on paper. Build a plan to try this for at least 30 days but the key is to ‘implement’ the practices in the book.
A few notable quotes of others about the book:
- “Every once in a while, you read a book that changes the way you look at life. But it is so rare to find a book that changes the way you live your life. The Miracle Morning does both, and faster than you ever thought possible. I highly recommend Hal Elrod’s latest book.” -TIM SANDERS, NY Times bestselling author of The Likability Factor
- “To read The Miracle Morning is to give yourself the gift of waking up each day to your full potential. It’s time to stop putting off creating the life you want, and deserve to live. Read this book and find out how.” -DR. IVAN MISNER, NY Times bestselling author and Founder of BNI(r)
- “How The Miracle Morning Has Changed My Life and Business” – Greg Hickman
- Greg has a great outline how he adapted the six items for his morning
Is there anything new in the book? No, however, Hal does an amazing job organizing it in a manner that isn’t boring and he filled the books with stories and life applications from his life and others. Please keep in mind that he implemented these items to overcome serious challenges in his life such as, being hit head on by a drunk driver and was dead for six minutes then was told he had permanent brain damage and may never walk again (he became an ultra-marathoner).
We are less than fifteen days from a new year when many people and companies set new goals and challenges for their lives and businesses. This is a great book to start the year with but again, it is a must implement to help you with your goals for the year.
Do you want to lose weight? Set a measurable goal and use the techniques from this book to keep track of your progress. Please keep something in mind as you go through this book, ‘it is a guide’, not a rule book. Maybe you want to set aside 120 minutes because you want to read for thirty minutes combined with twenty minutes of journaling, then do it! The important item is to set a plan for your morning. Maybe you want 3-5 minutes for a quick exercise to start the day and will finish with a full workout later in the day, that is fine, but the intent is to ‘get blood flowing’ and to wake up your body.
Do you want to spend more time praying and reading your Bible? This is a great outline to get you started every morning.
Hal suggests starting the day by brushing your teeth and drinking water and brushing your teeth before anything else is tremendous. It seems to wake me up and get me started without issues. In fact, when I don’t do this and begin my ‘routine’, I want to stop and brush my teeth. It might seem odd, but this trick works.
One other point – the key is to have a plan! Goals must be measurable based on the SMARTER system.
The Miracle Morning helps you stay on the path to meet your goals and put legs to your dreams.
“Strive to make everyday the best day of your life, because there is no good reason not to.”
- “At first, I thought Hal had lost his mind-why on earth would anyone get up so early on a regular basis?!?! I was skeptical… until I tried it. When I implemented Hal’s strategies I noticed an immediate difference in my personal and professional life. The Miracle Morning(tm) will show you how to take control of your life, regardless of your past. I highly recommend it.”
- -JOSH SHIPP, TV show host, author, and Teen Behavior Expert